Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sweet and sour chicken!

No, this isn't a video of sweet and sour chicken, but of my niece Danika making my mom and I laugh.

Now, here's the sweet and sour chicken...

I made sweet and sour sauce from scratch last night, it was yummy! I did cheat with the chicken though, it was frozen nuggets.

Sweet & Sour Sauce

1 large green pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 clove garlic, minced

Saute in 2 tablespoon oil, then add

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Boil 1 minute.

In a small bowl, combine
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cold water
Stir into sauce, then add

1 small can crushed pineapple, drained

I also made some lovely broccoli salad to go with the chicken. The only cheat I did in this one is that I used some broccoli slaw mix from the store. I added everything else and made the dressing. It also has raisins and sunflower seeds, mmm!

Broccoli Salad

Combine in a large bowl

4 cups broccoli flowerettes (or broccoli slaw)
1 medium red onion
1/2 to 1 pound crisp bacon (I left the bacon out and just used some salad topping as an optional after thought.)
1 package sunflower seeds
I also added about 1 cup raisins

Dressing

1/2 to 1 cup mayonnaise (I used one cup.)
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vinegar

Mix well and pour on salad.

(I got both of these recipes from my friend RosaLee a long time ago, so glad I tried them! Thanks RosaLee!!!)

I did my nails with black tips and glitter. It's sad that this kind of hard work only lasts a day or two, they started chipping the next day. It's also sad that just about a week ago my nails where really long again and I hadn't done any nail art in a while. They all started breaking, like they do, so it was time to cut them down again. =(

Ryn's sunflowers have bloomed!



Stu suggested the sunflowers be moved into the dinning room so they'd have more room to stretch.

A strawberry Starburst as seen in my I Spy...Pink! photo collection.

I attempted to make a mocha frappe last weekend. Didn't work too well, the liquid went to the bottom and the ice and chocolate went to the top. But it was still good.

Stu is taking Science Fiction class this semester. It's cool that he has to watch science fiction movies for homework, but not cool that he has to write four page reports on them. Hang in there, honey!

Ryn doesn't seem to be taking anymore pictures where she looks like a little girl. She's really growing up.

Now I'm off to crochet more of Polly's bedspread. I only have five out of seventeen rows left!

Now Playing:
Star Wars - Episode III, Revenge of the Sith

No comments: