Sunday, November 1, 2009

You've Got To Be Kidding Me

Now Playing:
Ghost Hunters
Fort Henry
-----

Somethin' Pumpkin
I knit a pumpkin hat and orange socks for a co-worker's October baby and she had his pictures taken in them! Cute, huh?

-----

Glimmer Spider
[Photo property of Caron International Yarns.]

I was making this spider (and plan to make the web too) RIGHT before Halloween, but didn't finish in time. So, he'll be for next year's decorations.

-----

Our knit meeting this week was interesting... we had three husbands show up! Stu was there, Bruce tagged along with Marissa and Jessica's husband came with her as well. Stu said he had fun, it was nice.

-----

Little Tin Man
I'm trying my hand at painting. I'm using craft acrylics, cheap paint brushes and poster board. I'm only a beginner after all and this was stuff I already had on hand. This easel is homemade entirely of cardboard parts and packing tape.

Little Tin Man
[Clickable for larger view.]

-----

Happy Halloween!

Halloween 2009
Our family dressed for Halloween! I made the popcorn and Milk Duds costumes.

Halloween 2009
Ryn in her dead prom queen costume. The red eyes from the flash seemed fitting, so I left them.

Halloween Nails
I painted my nails black with orange polkadots! (Geez, I wish I could keep my nails long. I've been having a lot of difficulty keeping them from breaking for about the past year. I really miss my long nails. *sad face*)

Halloween Cookies
Bruce and Marissa came over Halloween night and brought some huge pizza from The Pie. Stu and Bruce played some role-play board games while Marissa and I baked and decorated sugar cookies with candy melts and watched Ghostbusters, then The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Halloween Cookies

Halloween Cookies

Halloween Cookies

Joker Cookie
I made this Joker cookie espeically for Stu... he didn't understand what it was!

We did have a Happy Halloween. But, on a sadder note...

-----

I was laid off from my job Wednesday. I never saw it coming... it bites. I thought everything was okay considering that my boss had always said it was great that we were doing good enough to not have to be letting people go, like so many other places have to. I knew things were tight, but I had no idea they were that bad. Another lady got laid off too.

We just had a miscarriage and are trying to start a family-- and now this. I'm trying to put a positive spin on this and actually look forward to some new opportunities. We also do have some options with health insurance that will be good for when I become pregnant, even if it's very soon.

It just would have been nice if I could have kept the same job until Stu graduated college and started working next summer. That would've been very favorable considering that I'd already been there three years and that would have given me some good perks with insurance and maternity leave.

I also got a month's worth of regular pay as severance, so we'll be okay financially. I don't see it taking a month for me to find work again. The only thing that's really bad about this is the fact that I thought I had a stable job, but out of nowhere had the rug pulled out from under me. That's causes very desperate feelings. Plus, I really don't enjoy job interviews, but who does? Haha.

Wish me (and our family) luck. I'm going job hunting tomorrow.

Lesson learned: Make yourself irreplacable and never settle for being the low man on the totem pole.

No comments: